Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

A Recap of 2010

Wishing you and your loved ones a very happy 2011! I thought it would be appropriate to recap our 2010, since it was such an eventful year for all of us:

2010 started with us in two different states, about 1200 miles apart. K was stationed at Tyndall AFB in Panama City, Florida. I was in Lincoln, Nebraska finishing my final semester of my Bachelor's Degree. It was definately challenging being apart as much as we were this year, to say otherwise would be denying the truth--but we made it and it only made us stronger in the end.
I was fortunate to get to visit Florida and my incredible fiance twice between February and March. It was a nice change from the horribly cold winter we had in Nebraska! it was even better that I was able to spend time with the man of my dreams!

Because of the nature of the program K was in, it ended up not being a good fit for him--and the Air Force decided to try a different career path. He was transferred to Security Forces and it ended up being a much better fit for his personality and preferences.

I spent the majority of the Spring working on my senior thesis. I researched the differences in changes of mood between women using hormonal contraceptives and those who weren't. I had a blast doing my research and would love to keep pursuing it in the future!

My family got our first pet in years. We adopted Tebow (Bo) the dauschund/poodle mix in January and he has been an incredible addition to the Garvey household. Reagan and Ryan love him!(and I do too--he only listens to me, which I find hilarous)

Perhaps the biggest thing that happened in the Spring was my graduation from Nebraska Wesleyan University. It was such an incredible feeling to be done with school, knowing how hard I had worked to acheive that goal. It was challenging that I didn't have a job lined up, and it took me 8 months to find one related to my degree--but knowing I had that piece of paper made everything worth it. I never would have been able to accomplish such a great thing without the support from my family and friends, for which I'm ever grateful.

About a week before I graduated, K moved to Camp Bullis in San Antonio, Texas to begin his Security Forces training. It was a big change from Florida--much drier!!
I was able to go down and visit over his birthday/4th of July weekend and we had so much fun! I met lots of fun people and made great memories! I was able to go to Sea World which I really enjoyed--but having the company of my fiance made it even better!

Mid-June my entire extended family went up to Wisconsin for a vacation and to celebrate the first marriage of the grandkids--Zachary married the beautiful Katie, and the family grew by one more.

My immediate family decided to take a small vacation to Kansas City as one last hurrah before I was married. It was a very special time to spend with them as it was the last vacation with 6 "Garveys".

After 3 and a half long months of hard work and dedication, K graduated from Security Forces training. I have never been prouder--he worked so incredibly hard! I was unable to make it to the graduation, but his parents were very kind and brought back pictures for me.

The exciting part of him graduating was that he was finally able to come home as we got orders to Offutt AFB in Bellevue, Nebraska. Of all places we could go, the Air Force (God ordained) decided that we were supposed to stay in Nebraska! It was wonderful to have him home, especially so close to our wedding day!

Fall went by way too quickly, speeding past my birthday, bridal shower, bachelorette party, wedding rehearsal and finally to our wedding day.

I could make an entire post about our wedding day. It was magical. After 16 long months of being engaged, I was so excited to know that we were able to say our vows and be united in marriage.
I remember not sleeping a wink the night before. I was a bundle of excited nerves. I woke up around 6 and the day flew by from there. The girls all got their hair done together at the house and I was able to share so many special moments with them.
Perhaps one of my favorite moments of that day was the first time K and I saw each other. We requested no one but us and our photographer was there for that moment and it was so special to us both. Perhaps the most intimate moment of the day.
The wedding day flew by so fast but we had so much fun. It was a beautiful day, which was a blessing to me as the end of October can be very unpredictable as far as weather goes. We had 75 degree weather without a cloud in the sky. Two hundred people were able to come and we felt so incredibly blessed.

We spent our wedding night at the Front Porch Bed and Breakfast in Ashland. If you ever need a romantic getaway, this is the place! Since we couldn't take our honeymoon right away, this was the perfect choice--romantic, close by and all ours! I'll leave it at that.

I feel so blessed to know that K was able to spend the holidays with us this year. Thanksgiving and Christmas were wonderful and I truly have an amazing husband.

We also got a puppy named Meshka. She's a character and knows how to push her "mommy's" buttons, but I love her anyway. Best Christmas gift ever!

As far as this year goes, it was one of ups and downs, but knowing the Lord never changes helped us get through each moment. Having an incredible family and fabulous friends surrounding me, as well as being blessed with the best husband in the world, I will cherish this past year in ways I can't ever describe in words.

Blessings to you all

No comments:

Post a Comment